“For God so loved the world, that He sent His one and only Son – that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.” John 3:16
There’s something that God revealed to me the other day I felt to share. He said: “breakthrough comes when you go from believing to knowing“. We believe we are loved, but do we really know it?
One of the blockers to receiving God’s love is not knowing (in our hearts) that we are loved. And this is because very few have experienced Him, and the love He has for us.
So how do we experience God’s love? Actually, its very simple!
Acts 3:19-20 “Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord; and that He may send Jesus, the Christ appointed for you”
There’s a lot of legalistic teaching about repentance, but actually, we need to receive the gift of repentance (yes – repentance is a gift from God, see 2 Tim 2:25), and with this comes the revealing of Jesus, our sins are wiped away and times of refreshing come. All in His presence!
So it’s in His presence that we experience the person of Jesus Christ, and the love He has for us. As we experience these times of refreshing, we move from believing that we are loved to knowing that we are loved.
Here are some basic steps to try:
- Find a quiet place.
- Ask God for a godly sorry of your sins (which leads to repentance, see 2 Cor 7:10).
- Receive the gift of repentance (and grace), and repent (turn away from sin and towards Jesus), knowing that grace covers your sin and enables us to overcome it too.
- Get rid of all distractions – thoughts about your sins, requests you have of God, what you need to do next week, etc and just focus 100% on Jesus. Give Him all your attention.
- LOVE HIM. Turn your heart towards God and begin to Love Him with all that you are (the 1st Commandment).
- God will manifest His presence. (James 4:8 “Draw near to God and He will draw near to you”). Experience Jesus, and the times of refreshing!
Some other scriptures that helped me with getting into God’s presence are these:
Psalm 46:10 “Be still, and know that I am God!”
Isaiah 30:15 “This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: “Only in returning to me and resting in me will you be saved. In quietness and confidence is your strength.”
Jesus is wonderful, and it’s my prayer that you will experience and know the real Jesus, who loves you very very much.